Thursday 17 October 2013

Recap: Tough Beginnings / Welcome to Boot Camp

Week 1

Visual Design.

Having not done art for quite a while certainly did show its effect during the first week. Literally being thrown into cold water and starting right off with some life drawing, followed by heading down to the river to explore single-point perspective. "Welcome to Boot Camp", as my lecturer kindly pointed out.

Life Drawing.

The first day was quite tiresome but still I decided that this is not going to be the end and I decided to fight. I was given a chance and I am sure not to throw it all away. So after a bit of difficulties in the beginning I went out and completed the set task. In fact I also noticed quite a bit of improvement from day to day (most likely just getting the hang of drawing stuff again).

Thumbnail Sketches.

In the end I managed to produce a quite pleasing piece of work. Sure, it's not grade 'A' quality work just yet, but hopefully I will get there eventually.

Final Piece.

Game Production.

As I mentioned within my introduction I already had experience with 3D modelling and using 3DS Max. Therefore having another "getting started" session with 3DS Max was probably the easiest task during my first week. After getting introduced to all the basic tools and navigating within the program we were set of creating a Dalek from Doctor Who, staying within the 1500 tri limit.

Sounds easy enough. As this was just an exercise to get used to Max we didn't have to texture it, but just to make it look a bit more convincing I decided to just slap on some materials.

Dalek Render.
I was quite pleased with my result although I probably could've polished it up a bit here and there by removing some unneeded polys.

Wireframe.

So this is it.. This was my first week here at DeMontfort University. So far I am impressed with how the course is laid out and I am looking forwards to my future weeks and all the work I will be doing. I will try and update this blog a bit more regularly (once I finished catching up).

Thank for reading and if you (the reader) have got any suggestions then please always feel free to post them. Whether it is related to my work or my blog, I am always happy to receive some feedback.

See you in the next post!~

No comments:

Post a Comment